Saturday 8 December 2012

And he shall be called...

It was time to start thinking of a baby name. My parents had batted around a few suggestions, mainly boy names (!) but nothing had been settled on. One day my dad burst through the door and said 'Rebekah Helen' my mum, rather perplexed asked 'who's she?' And my dad announced it was the name of the baby if it turned out to be a girl. 
Yup, that's how I was named. 
Other than this little story, I don't know why my name was picked. Often parents will choose names based on special family names or significant meaning. My name means 'Captivating light'. 
In 'Bible times' names were hugely important, they represented not only who the person was but also their character. So Abraham means 'Father of many' and David means 'Beloved'. Mary and Joseph didn't get to choose their child's name. I wonder if they did have the choice would they have picked a name which encompassed the character and the future of their baby boy?
God instructed them to call him 'Jesus', a name meaning SALVATION. What a perfect choice! His name describes exactly what he came to do, bring us salvation. 
In Isaiah 9:6 Jesus also inherits some other names: Wonderful Counsellor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. You probably won't find these names on his birth certificate but they are equally important as Isaiah is describing the character of this baby. 
What if every one of us came with titles like that. To not only have your actual name meaning (significant or not) but to be called and known by your character, the person you really are. Rebekah captivating, light, children's pastor, creative, fun, extroverted Williamson. 
It's a little bit of a mouthful but it describes a little bit of me. It's what I or my friends  would name me, but just like God named his own son, he has named us too. He has called us his sons and daughters, his princes and princess, his chosen ones, his heirs, his workmanship, holy and beloved. WOW!! That is what God believes in and has called each one of us. 
'Rebekah daughter and princess of the most high, created with purpose, chosen and beloved Williamson' Isn't that just incredible? Try it out with your own name! It's who you are, it's why you're here. This is not supposed to be an exercise for increasing our egos but an exercise to firmly plant ourselves in our true identity. Jesus knew from the start who he was and I'm pretty convinced that being rooted in those truths helped him overcome all that he faced. It can do the same for us!