Monday 3 December 2012

God with us

Jesus gets called many different names but I think Immanuel is my favourite. It means 'God with us'. I'm not sure I've ever taken the time to allow that realisation to fully sink into my heart. God is WITH us. The God who created the heavens and the earth, the God who knew us before we were born has given us himself. He showed up! 
I love that Jesus would have had messy nappies, been sick, learned to talk and walk, read and write. He would have had cuddles from his mum and play fights with his Dad. He would have cried when he hurt himself and laughed with his friends. 
God is WITH us. He's not some distant figure watching us doing life. He took on human form and  knows how it feels to be sad, scared and angry. He knows how it feels to be happy, excited and content. He knows because he showed up!
I've taken time to pause and ponder over these thoughts today and it has given me a sense of comfort and of awe. God really does know what I'm going through, good or bad and He is also WITH me in those times.