Friday 14 March 2014

Day nine #40acts



Listening. This morning, just like every Wednesday and Friday mornings, I was at our church toddler group that I co-lead. I love sitting down and having a cup of tea (well...I'll be drinking milk!) with mums, dads, grandparents or carers. It's such a lovely way to spend a couple of hours, I love my job!! A lot of the conversations I have over cups of tea are about sleepless nights, naughty steps, breast-feeding, nappy rash or poo. I find listening really hard work because I either get distracted or I just want to butt in with my own story or ideas. But while listening to the highs and lows of toddler group parents, I can't offer advice or tell my own anecodes because I'm not a parent and I don't have a clue about any of these things! So I just listen. 

I'm listening so they feel heard, so they feel there's value in what they are saying. I'm also listening for the unspoken words that say someone is having a hard time. I'm listening for their achievements so I can encourage and say well done. I'm listening for the moments of celebration so I can join in with their joy. I'm listening to God so I know what to silently pray in my heart. 

Listening might come fairly easily at toddler group but I know that I need to be better at it in many others areas of my life.